As you age, your body has natural changes that can place you at higher risk for health concerns and injury. The team at Family Medical Specialists of Florida, PLC is committing to caring for their patients throughout their lifespan. They offer services to assist geriatric patients to continue living healthy lifestyles as long as possible, and receive the best care possible when problems arise. For your geriatric care consultation, call or book an appointment online today.
Geriatric Q & A
What is aging?
Aging begins at birth. During your lifetime, cells mature, die and regenerate, tissues mature and change, bones grow, muscles evolve with use and atrophy with misuse, and nerve pathways are created and destroyed.
Usually starting at about age 30, typical signs of aging begin to present themselves as cells and tissues of the body begin to wear down. After 65, the body is less able to recover from injury and is more susceptible to illness.
The rate that the body ages is different for everyone, and factors such as genetics, diet, illness, and activity level contribute to when certain signs of aging may occur.
What changes are natural for advanced age?
The aging process affects every system of the body, and eventually, it will cause these changes to occur:
- Tissues, organs, and cells: become less pliable and slower to regenerate
- Skin, hair, and nails: grow more slowly, thin out, and change texture and color
- Heart and lungs: become less effective and vessels and organs become stiff and less compliant
- Digestion: slows down and produce less digestive juices
- Brain and nervous system: nerves degenerate and cognitive skills diminish
- Eyes and ears: tissues are thinner, stiffer and less responsive
- Bones, joints, and muscles: become brittle, more prone to injury and less able to recover
- Immunity: is less able to fight infections and healing is slower
- Urinary: muscles become weaker and urinary incontinence is common
These natural changes place those over 65 at greater risk for falls, infections, injury, immobility, confusion, neglect, and malnutrition.
What is geriatric care?
Geriatric care is specialized medical care for patients over 60. Natural effects of aging are taken into consideration when planning care, and providing preventive services.
The team at Family Medical Specialists of Florida, PLC provides excellent geriatric care with a number of services to help you stay as healthy as possible for as long as possible.
These services include:
- Cognitive testing
- Medication management
- Home health referrals
- Physical therapy referrals
- Wellness visits
To prevent complications of long-term problems, they offer:
- Cardiac testing
- Retinal scans
- Hypertension screenings
- Glucose checks
- Bone density testing
- Pulmonary function tests
With proper support, you can look forward to a healthy aging process.
For personalized geriatric care, call or book an appointment online today.